Transport – which includes private transport, public transport, and transport of goods – can have significant impacts on health and wellbeing, both positive and negative.
Positive effects can include:
- opportunities for physical activity provided by active transport (walking and cycling);
- enabling access to employment, education, shops, recreation, social support networks, health services and the countryside.
Negative effects can include:
- road traffic injuries;
- limitation of opportunities for physical activity;
- constraints on access to amenities and services.
Local information can be obtained from:
- Vacant seat scheme
- Transport for students under the age of 16
- Public transport
- Road safety for parents and young people
Further information about links between transport and health is available from:
- Healthy Travel Choices in Warwickshire
- Warwickshire Local Transport Plan 2011 – 2026
- Transport and Health Resource: Delivering Healthy Local Transport Plans
- Active Travel Strategy
- World Health Organisation: Transport and Health
- Transport and Health Study Group (THSG)
- Making the case: improving health through transport
- Transport and health
- Healthy Transport = Health Lives